Children aged 3 – 5 can be great helpers in the kitchen. Finger dexterity, learning about measurements and following instructions are among the things they can learn while helping to make tasty treats.
Creamy Peanut Butter Cookies
Celebrate Chinese New Year with some delicious, homemade peanut butter cookies. Let the kids help with the kneading and rolling of the dough involved in this recipe, but be careful around the oven. These golden-brown treats are best served with a tall glass of cold milk.
- ½ cup softened butter
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Add butter and peanut butter into a large bowl, then beat in sugar and egg until smooth.
- Sift the milk powder together with the flour, baking soda and salt. Stir this into the peanut butter mixture.
- Roll the dough into tablespoonful-sized balls and place on a baking sheet.
- Flatten the dough using a fork dipped in flour.
- Bake the cookies at 180°C for 10-15 minutes until they begin to brown around the edges.
This article was originally published in the Jan-Feb 2018 issue of HealthToday.